Making A Notification (Complaint)

If you wish to make a notification (complaint) about a physiotherapist or student then you can take one of the following courses of action. Please note, all notifications (complaints) MUST be in writing.

 1. Download and print the form below and post it to us at: 

    Physiotherapy Council of New South Wales
    Locked Bag 20
    HAYMARKET  NSW  1238

Notification (Complaint) Form Regarding a Physiotherapist

Notification (Complaint) Form Regarding a Physiotherapy Student

 2. Write us a letter outlining what your notification (complaint) is about, what happened, time and place of the incident and as much detail about the incident as possible. You may wish to use the headings in the above forms to assist you in writing the letter. Please provide us with your contact details so that we can follow-up on the notification (complaint).
    Physiotherapy Council of New South Wales
    Locked Bag 20
    HAYMARKET  NSW  1238
 3. Fill in the Online Notification (Complaint) Form, available from the link below:

Online Notification (Complaint) Form

 4. Contact the Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) regarding your notification (complaint):

    Health Care Complaints Commission
    Telephone: (02) 9219 7444   or   131 500
    Toll Free in NSW:  1800 043 159
    TYY service for the hearing impaired: (02) 9219 7555  
    Fax:  (02) 9281 4585
    Office address:  Level 13, 323 Castlereagh Street (Corner of Hay Street)
                              SYDNEY  NSW  2000 
 5. Contact the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) regarding your notification (complaint):

    Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
    Level 51
    680 George Street
    SYDNEY  NSW  2000
    Telephone:  1300 419 495

While all notifications (complaints) MUST be in writing, you are welcome to contact us directly on the numbers listed below, to obtain advice or assistance:

    Phone:  1300 197 177
    Fax:       (02) 9281 2030

An acknowledgement of the receipt of a notification (complaint) will be provided to the person making the notification (complaint). We may contact the complainant at a later date to seek more details about the notification (complaint). Please make sure all contact details are clearly marked and correct.

For further information on the process for managing notifications (complaints) and the courses of action, see below:

What constitutes a conduct, health or performance matter?

What happens after a notification (complaint) is made?

All information received will be treated with the utmost security and confidentiality.

Can anyone make a notification (complaint)?

Yes, anyone can make a notification (complaint); this includes the person who received the treatment, a parent or guardian of the person or a child, a carer, a relative, another health care provider or an employer of a registered health professional.

Practitioners, employers and education providers are all required (mandated) by law to report notifiable conduct relating to a practitioner or student. Registered practitioners who fail to report notifiable conduct may face disciplinary action by their National Board.

A registered health practitioner, an employer or an education provider who forms a reasonable belief that:

  • another registered health practitioner has behaved in a way that constitutes notifiable conduct; or
  • a student has an impairment that, in the course of the student undertaking clinical training, may place the public at substantial risk of harm
must, as soon as practicable, notify AHPRA of the notifiable conduct. The Law provides protection from civil, criminal and administrative liability for people who, in good faith, make a notification under this Law.

Mandatory notification does not constitute a breach of professional etiquette or ethics, nor is it a departure from accepted standards of professional conduct.

A complaint may also be made by a health Council or the Director-General of the NSW Ministry of Health.

Is there somebody who can assist me in making a notification (complaint) or where I can learn more about this process?

Yes. Assistance is available from either the Health Professional Councils Authority, the Health Care Complaints Commission or the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA):

            Health Professional Councils Authority    1300 197 177
            Health Care Complaints Commission      1800 043 159
            AHPRA                                                     1300 419 495           


All information received will be treated with the utmost security and confidentiality. For further information, please click here for the frequently asked questions section.