Welcome to the Optometry Council of New South Wales
The Optometry Council of New South Wales is a statutory body that was established in July 2010 under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (NSW). The Council manages notifications (complaints) about the conduct, performance or health of optometry practitioners and students.
This site provides information on:
- the role, functions, activities and membership of the Council
- how to make a notifications (complaint) and the notifications (complaints) management processes
- the role and functions of the agencies involved in the notification (complaint) process and links to their websites
- the adjudicating bodies involved in notifications (complaints) management - Panels, Committees and Tribunals
- a link to the Optometry Board of Australia website for information on the standards, codes of conduct and guidelines that apply to practitioners
- links to other relevant websites
- frequently asked questions (FAQs).
The Optometry Council is not responsible for the registration of health practitioners or students. All registration matters for NSW are managed by the NSW office of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA):
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
680 George Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Telephone: 1300 419 495
If you have a complaint regarding a health professional outside of NSW, please contact AHPRA at the above address.
All notifications (complaints) MUST be in writing.
People who prefer a language other than English should contact the Council through the Telephone Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450. Interpreters can be arranged by the Council to discuss a complaint.
How to contact the Council in 19 languages (PDF 128 KB)