Welcome to the Dental Council of New South Wales 

Useful links in regards to infection control:


Infection control audit which may apply to your practice

The Dental Council of NSW is conducting an audit of infection control measures in dental practices. If you are a registered dental practitioner, this may affect you.

Click here to read more about the audit, which commences Monday 23 November 2015. 


The Dental Council of New South Wales is a statutory body that was established in July 2010 under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (NSW). The Council manages notifications (complaints) about the conduct, performance or health of dental practitioners and students. 

This includes:

  • dentists
  • dental specialists
  • dental hygienists
  • dental prosthetists
  • oral health therapists
  • dental therapists.

This site provides information on:

  • the role, functions, activities and membership of the Council
  • how to make a notification (complaint) and the notifications (complaints) management processes
  • the role and functions of the agencies involved in the notification (complaint) process and links to their websites
  • the adjudicating bodies involved in notifications (complaints) management - Panels, Committees and Tribunals
  • a link to the Dental Board of Australia website for information on the standards, codes of conduct and guidelines that apply to practitioners
  • links to other relevant websites
  • frequently asked questions (FAQs).  

Please note:

The Dental Council is not responsible for the registration of health practitioners or students. All registration matters for NSW are managed by the NSW office of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA):

        Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
        Level 51
        680 George Street
        SYDNEY  NSW  2000
        Telephone:  1300 419 495
        Website:  www.ahpra.gov.au

Dental technicians are not registered in NSW. Complaints about a dental technician should be referred to the Health Care Complaints Commission www.hccc.nsw.gov.au

If you have a complaint regarding a health professional outside of NSW, please contact AHPRA at the above address.

All notifications (complaints) MUST be in writing.

Interpreter Service:

People who prefer a language other than English should contact the Council through the Telephone Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450. Interpreters can be arranged by the Council to discuss a complaint.

How to contact the Council in 19 languages (PDF 128 KB)