The Health Professional Councils Authority (HPCA) came into existence from 1 July 2010 with the commencement of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme.
The HPCA is an administrative body of the Health Administration Corporation. The HPCA provides the administrative and secretarial support to each of the 14 New South Wales (NSW) Councils in their primary role to protect the public. The HPCA is self-funded from the regulatory proportion of the annual registration fees paid by health practitioners practising in NSW. The Director of the HPCA reports to the NSW Ministry of Health, and HPCA staff are employed by the Director-General of the NSW Ministry of Health.
The HPCA is located at two sites:
- Level 6, 477 Pitt Street, Sydney for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Dental, Medical Radiation Practice, Nursing and Midwifery, Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Osteopathy, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Podiatry and Psychology Councils
- Building 45, the Old Gladesville Hospital Grounds, Gladesville for the Medical Council of New South Wales.
The ABN for the HPCA is 33 007 792 411
Administratively, the HPCA has four Divisions:
- Allied Health, Nursing and Midwifery – located at Pitt St
- Medical – located at Gladesville
- Legal – located on both sites; and
- Finance – located at Pitt St.
HPCA Organisation Chart
Contact details for each Council are available through the links on the left of this page.
The HPCA and the NSW Councils work closely with the Health Care Complaints Commission, the National Boards for each profession and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.